UA-48009635-1 UA-48009635-1

Friday, January 23, 2015

Still Dreaming


"Then the Good Samaritan came by and said, 'If I do not stop to help this man, 
what will happen to him?'"


Biggest Brother's kindergarten teacher (Miss Meise, circa 2007) can take credit for having him make a beautiful construction paper portrait of MLK. That treasure hangs near my desk with similar paper versions of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.

Inspired by strong images and words, we spent Monday thinking and talking about Dr King's dreams. We listened to "the Promised Land" speech and made an MLK Jr art gallery.



Our afternoon's work was made even more poignant because we visited the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis over fall break. We walked all through and around the Lorraine Motel learning, experiencing, remembering and reflecting.



We read Martin's Big Words and thought about what dreams have been realized and which ones still need our work and prayers. We are so fortunate to move to places that have played amazing roles in the world's history. 




Before I moved to Nashville, I didn't know the legacy of local college students training to endure injustice at lunch counters. I should have, but didn't. Now I drive down the streets where they practiced sitting in and think of them. I wonder what my future college students will do in the name of justice. I hope they remember our little kitchen table lessons and do their part. And then some.

The kids are also blessed to know Coach Derrick's grandchildren. All of these seeds being planted will flourish. I'm sure of it.


There is so much that I love about the Promised Land/Mountaintop speech. Among my favorite lines are: "Now I'm just happy that God has allowed me to live in this period to see what is unfolding. And I am happy that he's allowed me to be in Memphis." 







No comments:

Post a Comment