UA-48009635-1 UA-48009635-1

Monday, March 3, 2014

Out with the Cold



I feel partly responsible for the cold snap as I put out boxwood and pink ribbons on Friday. Topiaries and wreaths were my invitation for warm weather to come and stay. Being nearly March it was about time to get rid of the Valentine's decor and say good bye to all that red.

We surely cannot complain about the winter like most of the rest of you can, but it is always exciting to turn the page toward spring. Which means the front porch gets a bit of change.


I love boxwood but boy, it is pricey (and too delicate for outside decor).  I bargain hunted for real boxwood wreaths at Christmastime and am eager to give them a new life this spring. They'll get beribboned TLC inside near grapevine nests and wooden eggs.

For the front door, I found faux boxwood garland at the craft store and wound it through an old grapevine wreath. The urns? Would you believe they are $11 at Lowe's (which offset the expense of the big faux topiaries). I'm not crazy about artificial plants but these will endure and can be repurposed outside for other seasons (maybe with lights next Christmas? or wrapped in big red and white gingham bows?) and they look especially nice if you're not inspecting them up close.

But today we got ice and a dusting of snow (and a day off school!) so Baby Sister "made an igloo for a ladybug" while wearing a snowsuit. I think the only one who heard the siren song of my spring greenery was Jack Frost.


Here's hoping we'll soon all be in with the new and out with the cold. And meanwhile, stay warm (while you're snapping up bargain urns)!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment